Wednesday 1 June 2011

Yoga


        I have previously tried workout yoga and I do it regularly, but I don’t think yoga means the same to me as it does to Hindu’s. To me yoga is a way to relieve my stress, to become more flexible and to shed some extra pounds. Conversely, to a Hindu yoga is a path to Moksha. There are four yogas, or paths a person can choose. They are the path of knowledge, the path of meditation, the path of devotion and the path of good works. Hindu’s to not have to only choose one, and they can be used at different times in their lives. I’m going to focus on meditation-yoga. At first I found this truly excruciating, the purpose of meditation is to clear your mind and I could swear my mind was wandering to every place it could go. To keep focused is a discipline many Hindu’s have, and one I hope to learn. Thanks to meditation-methods.com I learned the steps to meditate. They are provided at the end of my rant. I chose to listen to it, because there is an audio version available, thank Ganesha for modern technology. As I continued to practice the yoga of meditation it because easier and easier and I learned to leave this world behind and focus on my journey towards Moksha. After each session I felt more relaxed, closer to Brahman and closer to achieving Moksha. Meditation is a skill everyone can you, before a big test or a job interview I suggest meditation. It clears your mind, relaxes you and changes your perception.  There is nothing negative I can think of about meditation-yoga. 

Meditation
The Method

1. Begin the Hindu meditation with your eyes closed and visualizing the letter A. See the letter in your mind’s eye. Try to picture it as clearly as possible, right in front of your field of vision. Keep it in your vision for a moment.

2. Now, visualize just to the right of the letter A, to the next letter, B. See it as clearly as possible, just like the previous letter. See it as solidly as possible in your mind’s eye. Keep it in your field of view for a moment.

3. Shift back into the space between the two letters, A and B, and say the Hindu mantra. To do the mantra, say the sound of “Ahh”. The sound should go for as long as your can. Try to continue this sound for at least 10 seconds. Focus on the sound. Feel the sound leaving your throat. Feel it entering the room. If your thoughts move somewhere else, gently but firmly, bring your focus back to the sound you are making. The sound of the Hindu mantra, the sound of God, the sound of “Ahh”. Keep your focus on the sound of “Ahh”.

4. Make the sound two times, while you’re in the space between the two letters, A and B. Focus only on the sound of “Ahh”.

5. Now put your focus back on the letter B. See the letter in your mind’s eye. Try to picture it as clearly as possible, right in front of your field of vision. Keep it in your vision for a moment.

6. Now, visualize the next letter, C, just to the right of the letter B. See it as clearly as possible, just like the previous letter. See it as solidly as possible in your mind’s eye. Keep it in your field of view for a moment.

7. Shift back into the space between the two letters, B and C, and do the Hindu mantra. Focus on the sound. Feel the sound leaving your throat. Feel it entering the room you’re in. The sound of Japa, the sound of God, the sound of “Ahh”. Keep your focus on the sound of “Ahh”.

8. Make the sound twice while you’re in the space between the two letters, B and C. Focusing entirely on the sound you are making.

9. Continue by visualizing the letter C again. Go through the rest of the letters A – G using the same process to complete the Hindu meditation.

Meditation process thanks to: http://www.meditation-methods.com/hindumeditation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment